This weekend was my 30th birthday. Yup, the big 3-0. I’m not in my 20’s anymore. So much has happened in the last 10 years…I finished a doctorate degree, got married, raised a dog (success of this is still questionable), ran a marathon (and liked/hated it enough to do another), and visited five continents.I’m not a big party person, but I had the perfect weekend with friends (including one of the best from a far, far away island who was in the States for a visit), seafood with DH, and cupcakes. It was a good way to ring in my next decade. I’ve always been a bit secretive about my age–mainly because people always assume I’m older than I actually am, but now it’s all out on the internet. I’ll get over it with another cupcake.
This year will be a big travel year for us…and I can’t think of a better way to ring in my 30’s. And in the spirit of TravelingSaurus, here are 30 tidbits of nonsense and wanderlusting, accompanied by photos. Enjoy!
5 Things I Want to Accomplish Before 40
1. Finish a triathlon (1/2 ironman).
2. Perfect my macaron.
3. Write a book with DH.
4. Get back into equestrian activities.
5. Speak another language fluently.
Last 5 International Destinations
1. Naples, Italy
4. Vienna, Austria
5 “Dream” Destinations On My Bucket List
1. Galapagos (planning for 2016…yes, we plan in advance!)
5 “Doable” Destinations On My Bucket List
1. Spain (crossing fingers 2015!)
5 Awesome Experiences I’d Recommend
(I was going to say favorite experiences…but I’m too fickle for that).
1. Gorilla trekking in Uganda’s Bwindi Impenetrable Forest
2. Visiting Abu Simbel, Egypt
3. Sailing and snorkeling the British Virgin Islands
4. Seeing black rhinos, Damaraland, Namibia
5. Attending the Chelsea Flower Show, London (didn’t see that one coming, did you?!)
5 Favorite Museums Outside the United States
(Fine. I’ll choose some favorites).
1. Kigali Genocide Memorial Museum (Kigali, Rwanda)
2. Egyptian Museum of Antiquities (Cairo, Egypt)
3. Robben Island Museum (Cape Town, South Africa)
4. Canadian Museum of Immigration (Pier 21) (Halifax, Canada)
5. Churchill War Rooms (London, England)
Happy and content about what’s been accomplished, and excited and looking forward to what is to come. That is what turning 30 should be all about, right?